After the long home buying process, you are moving close to the date of the move. The last thing you want is more exhaustion, fatigue, stress and disappointment.
Prepare well in advance for a smart move that leaves you excited and enthusiastic, as you set foot in your dream home. Find out what you can do to make the move less stressful on yourself and your family.
- Remember to send your new address to
- Family and friends
- Post office
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Utility companies – allow an overlap when switching utilities in case of delay. These companies will include electric, water, telephone, DSL or Internet cable, and the TV cable companies.
- Doctors, dentists, optometrist and your vet
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Your employer
- Any other organizations of which you are a member
- Arrange a date and time with your moving company.
- Get an estimate for all your items and any additional services that you may require.
- Make sure all the boxes are labeled and you’ve reviewed the list before signing the bill.
- Take pictures of valuable items before the move just in case you need to provide a proof for damage claims later.
- If you are going to use professional packers, organize your belongings for your convenience when unpacking.
- If you are doing the packing yourself, make a list of the number of boxes and packing materials that you will need. Be sure to get them in advance of your move to prevent a last minute rush.
- Label the boxes clearly so that you will be able to readily identify them after the move. The label should include the room they will go to and the name that represents the type of contents in the box. Fox example, “Kitchen/Glass” or “Michael’s Room/toys.”
- Make a list of emergency phone numbers of those you may need to call if you need help. Inform them in advance that you may need their help. Add these numbers to your cell phone contact list.
- Create a separate survival box for all the items you may need on “day one” of your move into the new home. Make sure that you carry this box with you and load it last, so that it is the first one you can unload. Some of the items that you may want to put in this box are:
|Medicines, First aid kit||Snacks||Light bulbs||Toothpaste||Slippers|
|Blankets and Pillows||Paper plates||Soap||Pots and Pans||Sugar, Cereal|
|Water||Forks & Spoons||Paper Towels||Milk||Tape|
|Few clothes||Milk, Coffee||Pen/Pencil||Trash Bags|
All information in this report is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed.
©2012 PropertyMinder, Inc.